Naming my blog… Ugh! I’ve always felt that I kind of suck at naming things – characters in my novel, children, pets, etc. In fact, when I foster kittens for the SPCA, I don’t usually even try to name them in part due to the sheer number of the fuzzy felines that come and go, but mostly because I struggle to come up with good names for them.
There are many days I’m grateful that my husband came with a name or else he might just be simply known as #1. Don’t read too much into that! I just think that that name has flexibility and its meaning could vary depending on the day!
But when I started this blog, I decided that it needed a name that would stick and one that not only I would remember (I confuse my kids’ names and my dogs’ names all the time!) but one, that hopefully, my readers would remember too.
So I started to research how to name a blog, fired up Google and searched for tips for naming a blog. Overall, it seems that the name for a blog should be:
- Fairly short
- Easy to remember
- Catchy if possible
- Meaningful and describe your blog
In theory that all seems simple enough, doesn’t it?
Several sites offering help with naming a blog also suggested simply using the domain name. This has merit, but to create my author platform I’ve opted to use my own name for my domain name and that’s not really very catchy for a blog name nor is it really meaningful and descriptive when it comes to the content of my blog.
I also found name generators in the course of my research that suggest names for blogs. If you’re really struggling, give these a try:
- Wordoid – This site makes up words up to 15 characters in length. Fiction writers take note: This could be useful for naming places and characters for your novels.
- Online Name Generator – This site offers generators to help you come up with business names, nicknames and fantasy names. Another good sight to bookmark for fiction writers.
- Weblog Name Generator – Select from a funky or a formal name and click on the Generate Name button to try your luck with this one.
Although the name generator sites looked interesting, I decided to try some good old fashioned brainstorming and after a few cups of coffee, I came up with:
- Chaos and Caffeine (or Caffeine and Chaos) – I swear this was an original thought and that I hadn’t seen it online before. I thought this was quite meaningful and described my life to a tee. My house always looks like a cyclone has hit it, I’m always rushing about trying to accomplish something (hence the chaos) and I drink a lot of coffee. That’s me! But when I investigated it, it seems that it’s a lot of other people, too, and the names have already been used several times over and Cyclones and Coffee just didn’t have the same ring to it!
So, back to the drawing board. A few other ideas came and went and weren’t memorable enough to stick in my brain long enough for me to write this blog post and then I had a flash of genius, well, sort of, and came up with (drum roll please!) “Bound and Determined.”
It did occur to me that this could sound a bit sadomasochistic if one was inclined to think in those terms, but ignoring that, it seemed to check all the criteria boxes: short, catchy, easy to remember, meaningful because books are bound – at least print books – and I’ve been bound and determined for years to be a published author, and that in mind, the name kind of describes the focus of my blog: writing, getting published and social media marketing tips with authors in mind.
So there you have it. Introducing “Bound and Determined.”
How did you come up with the name for your blog? Let me know in the comments.